Becoming An Independent Artist...My 2 Cents


I’m watching one of my “fam’s” music videos and I thought about how much it is to be an independent artist, it is not cheap at all. My clients are all independent out here trying to make it in this business. Everything they do comes out of their own pockets.

That brings me to the show Love and Hip Hop on this week’s episode Rich and Olivia had a conversation about her becoming an independent artist if no label would be willing to pick her up and sign her, she was first signed to J-Records then to G-Unit records. She never had any real success on either label and the song she came out with not too long ago wasn’t something that I want to hear unless I’m sitting at home sad and lonely and honestly when I’m feeling that way I listen to more upbeat music that talks about how I can do better without you…lol. So anyway, when she talked to a record exec and he asked her to sing her newest single it sounded almost the same as the last song, boring as hell. These are depressing times right now and people want to hear music that makes them feel better not worse, something more upbeat that makes you want to groove not sit home and cry. So even if she is forced to be an independent artist I suggest she either find writers or change her tune a bit.

OK, my point wasn’t to talk about Olivia, it is to talk about being an independent artist. Now yes it is hard and takes money but there have been quite a few successful or semi-successful independent artists. It takes some creative marketing and a lot of hustling. There are a ton of websites that support independent artists where you can upload your music and learn more on being independent.

I know being famous in the US is everyone’s dream but the money does not stop in the USA. If you don’t have a felony, you can travel overseas where they love music and our artists. Even to Canada where they show love and support to artists and the currency can be exchanged into US dollars…OK!

Comments

Popular Posts