Preparing Your Hair for a Weave


I wanted to do a short post about preparing your hair for a weave.
When I did my last install I went into detail about what I had done to prepare my hair for it but the video was too long and unfortunately that footage hit the cutting room floor. So I have decided to share that info on my blog. I always share more here anyway so it’s best to be subscribed to both :-)

A good solid foundation is very important. What I am talking about is your hair and your braids, as well as the braiding pattern.

So first make sure you wash and deep condition your hair. If you are taking out an old weave or braids make sure you comb out all of the dead hair; if you don't the dead hair will entangle in your own hair and cause knots that may end up being cut out. If your hair is a bit rough add some conditioner to your hair to make it easier to comb through, start at the bottom and work your way to the top, holding it at the roots. After doing so you can wash and deep condition your hair. Deep conditioning means to put conditioner on your hair put a plastic cap on your hair and allow it to sit on your hair while you are under a dryer for about 15 minutes. If you don’t have a dryer you can wrap a warm towel around your head for 45 minutes. But if all else fails just put the bag on your head and leave the conditioner on for at least an hour, longer if you choose. I have kept it on all night and slept with it in many times.
Ok so once you rinse the conditioner out of your hair put a moisturizer on your hair then blow dry it, some choose to put the moisturizer on afterwards, that is ok as well.

Once your hair is dry you should clip your ends or have your ends clipped for you, not a lot but just a little bit, about ¼ an inch. Now this is for those that leave their weaves in for 2-3 months at a time. Otherwise just clip them every 2-3 months.

So as for the braiding pattern. I have seen people who have big braids underneath their weaves. There are a few issues with this; first let me start off by saying if you don’t plan on having your weave in for more than two weeks then it isn’t as huge of an issue. OK back to the issues; smaller braids are easier to dry under a weave, big braids hold too much moisture and you will end up under the dryer forever. Smaller braids help your hair grow better and provide a sturdier base for the weave and they last longer than big braids. It is usually those that cannot braid their own hair or those that are too lazy to do so that will tell you differently. Another thing you want to watch out for is your braiding pattern certain patterns will pull at your hairline so it is best to have your hair braided at an angle instead of straight back. Some people braid their hair in a circular pattern and for some that is fine. I just choose not to due to a bad experience.
It is also good to leave out your edges, just a little bit, you don’t have to put out a lot. Just so your aren’t putting at your edges and pulling them out.

After your hair is braided oil your scalp. I prefer oil over grease because grease will clog your scalp. Do this so your scalp isn’t dry and to minimize that new weave itch.

Well, those are my tips. As always it’s a good idea to wear a weaving cap. Feel free to hit me with any questions.

And…It Is What It is

Comments

Popular Posts