The Runner in Me


I wanted to post about running. I posted a few months ago regarding the C25K app that helps the couch potato become a 5K (3 miles) runner in about 9 weeks. The program is set up so that you can run 3 miles in 40 minutes by the time its over.

I started the program and it does make it a lot easier to run if you’ve never ran before. For me, I realized I can run for longer than 60 seconds at a time, also I didn’t like running outside in the cold and rain and I wasn’t too fond of having to stop at the traffic lights along the way, needless to say I didn’t finish the program past week one; before the program I would walk for 10 minutes, run for 10 minutes, then walk again for 10 minutes.

Let’s fast forward to February, I decided I would do like the program taught me and walk 5 minutes then run; my goal was to run for 20 minutes then finish with a 5 minute walk just as I did on the C25K program (which would end up being a 20 minute walk because I would go too far). I started the run at a slow speed and just jogged at that pace until I was done. When I finished I realized that I could do it again, so I did and I’ve been running ever since increasing my speed and my time along the way.

For me it was easier to start on a treadmill because I am able to control my speed better and keep it at a pace I can manage consistently; then I am able to increase as that pace becomes too easy. C25K also has a treadmill version which is great for helping you learn how to run while on a treadmill.

As the weather warms up I am preparing to run outside on warmer days, I need to be able to run outside as well as on a treadmill. I am more than ready to get out there and hit the pavement on a warm spring or summer evening.

I was speaking to a co-worker of mines this past Thursday and she talked me into joining the Color Vibe 5k race in May, I was amped and ready to go then quickly disappointed when I went to register and found out it was sold out, so I added myself to the waiting list. The good news is that at the end of the summer there will be another race called Color Me Rad and I am definitely be running that one, my co-worker has even offered to run it with me. I will definitely be ready by that time; after I have a few 5ks under my belt I may attempt a 10k and work my way up to a half marathon then a marathon, but that takes time; it may be two years before I attempt a marathon but the sky is the limit…no space is the limit…

And…It Is What It Is!!

Comments

Popular Posts