My Keto Life

As I mentioned in my previous post, I started the Keto diet on May 19th. I wanted to make sure that I could stick to the diet and that it really did work, before I shared it with everyone and I am here to report, I absolutely love it! It has answered so many questions I have had regarding my health. The Keto diet aligns perfectly with the Blood Type diet, for my blood type. I have been noticing the changes in my digestive system by eating Keto. Come to find out a person with my blood type should eat a low carb diet, because our bodies do not process carbs well and they cause us to have more digestive issues than other blood types. However, it is easier for us to digest proteins and fats than it is for other blood types. With that being said, keto is the perfect way of eating for me.

I researched keto for close to a year and joined a couple of fb groups about 6 to 7 months before I even started the diet. I still research it as I go and I also follow keto related IG pages. Whenever I start any kind of new dietary plan I always research it, a lot. I have even written my own dietary plans which were greatly successful. The problem I have always had is my sugar addiction. Keto has really helped me battle with my addiction to sugar and it has been the only thing that has truly helped me fight this battle with sugar. I always tend to go back into a bad way of eating and since changing over to the keto lifestyle I have not gone back. Even if I cheat by having a piece of something sweet at a special function, which I have done twice since starting, I do not spiral out of control. This is something that would have happened in the past. I feel so much more in control of my life and I don't feel controlled by sugar anymore. My thought process has become clearer since I started the keto way of eating. I have found myself excelling in school and at work. Some may not know, but carbs break down into the body as glucose aka sugar), and the more carbs you eat, more than likely the more sugar the food contains.

I do not gorge on butter and bacon like others on the keto diet may do, but I have increased my healthy fats like coconut oil, avocados and avocado oil, and food that contain omega 3s. I also take fish oil supplements 3 times a day. I started intermittent fasting (IF) about 3 weeks ago and it has helped control my eating habits even more, especially after a cheat moment. I call them moments because I don't make a day out of cheating. If I cheat, it is usually for a special occasion and I might have a bite of cake but not a whole slice or a bite of fried shrimp or fish but not a whole plate. Most of the time I just eat before I arrive or I bring a keto friendly dish that I can eat while at the function just in case they don't have any keto friendly options. Before starting Keto all of those things would have spiraled me out of control and back into a never-ending hole of bad eating. Years ago, I developed a bad habit of eating late at night, IF has put that habit at bay.  

I have been playing with recipes that I have found online in order to give myself a few different options. I have made keto bagels, keto cinnamon rolls, keto cake, and keto fat bombs. I have always had a ton of low-carb recipes under my belt so normal everyday eating is not hard for me. The moments that are hard, is when I want that special treat like cake and ice cream, even though I've never been a huge ice cream person, summer makes me want a bite every now and then. I am going to try making a keto friendly ice cream. When I made my tiny keto friendly cake, it was really delicious and I actually only needed a couple bites in order to be satisfied and then I threw the rest of it in the garbage; this would have never happened before.

I will start sharing some of my keto friendly dishes that I make. I have also gone back through some of my older posts and tagged them "Keto" so that they are easier to search for. I studied the keto diet in my human nutrition class in college but I am not an expert on this way of eating. However, I will share with you as much as I can as I go along but this will not become a keto blog.

I think what made keto an easier transition for me was starting out as low carb first. Eating a low carb diet that consisted in only cutting out pastas, all grains, bread, sugars, etc made it easier to transition because at that point when I was ready to begin keto, I only had to cut a few more foods out of my diet like most fruit except berries, sweet wine, sugary alcohol drinks, and things like that.

 







And...It Is What It Is!

Comments

Popular Posts