Changes


What is it about 2010 that has everyone so riled up? What makes 2010 so different from all the other new years? Is it the roundness of the numbers or the fact that it symbolizes a decade? Maybe it’s the fact that 10 years ago we were all warned that the world would crash due to our dependence on technology. Here we are 10 years later and more advanced than we were 10 years ago. What were you doing 10 years ago? Me? I was creating a career for myself and preparing to purchase my 1st home.

What about the recession? Some make say “what recession, I’m how I was before the “so called” recession”. I was listening to a comedian on New Years Eve by the name of Nate Jackson. During his stand up he said (don’t quote me on the exact words) “Black folks don’t know anything about a recession, we are still struggling” or something like that. But that was the jest if it. What he means is; for a lot of people out there the recession means nothing. They are no worse off than they were before, no better either. Their life was difficult before the recession and is difficult now.
Do you agree with this? Are you no better off than you were when the recession began? Are you better off? Have you taken steps to avoid feeling the crunch of the recession? By either improving your lifestyle by making up for any loss or by cutting back?
For me 2010 marked a moment I just decided to improve upon myself. 2009 was a testing year. My strengths and weaknesses were tested, through loss of family, a bad relationship and other issues. But at the same time, financially I gained in business. I decided that I would take more time to focus on what’s more important. For me that would be building a better relationship with family and repairing some of those relationships, building a better business structure, improving my health and becoming a better me, improving how I handle difficulties with others around me and how I approach situations.
I don’t consider my decisions to be resolutions but a needed lifestyle change. I’m not making resolutions that I’m not going to achieve; but I am going to make better decisions for a better quality of life.

Comments

Popular Posts