What Does Valentine's Day Mean To You?

“Saint Valentine's Day (commonly shortened to Valentine's Day) is an annual holiday held on February 14 celebrating love and affection between intimate companions. The holiday is named after one or more early Christian martyrs named Valentine and was established by Pope Gelasius I in AD 496. It is traditionally a day on which lovers express their love for each other by presenting flowers, offering confectionery, and sending greeting cards (known as "valentines"). The holiday first became associated with romantic love in the circle of Geoffrey Chaucer in the High Middle Ages, when the tradition of courtly love flourished.” ~Wikipedia



Now, Saint Valentine was executed for secretly performing marriage ceremonies for young men. The Emperor at the time wanted his soldier (men) to remain single. He felt single men made better soldiers. So he had Valentine arrested and thrown in jail.

I had a wonderful Valentine's Day, full of love and lots of fun. But throughout my day and evening I would check my FaceBook page and see so many people spitting hate on the day. Why? Well its obvious...they had no Valentine. Over the years I've come to realize that the only people that seem to dislike Valentine’s Day are those with no one to share it with. The funniest comment I heard some one say was “Happy Relationship Exploitation Day” I swear when I saw that I cracked up. What holiday isn’t a marketing magnet? I don’t think there are many that someone somewhere isn’t trying to make a quick buck off of. If I had the thought I might have created cards to sell myself…lol.


I honestly feel that this day isn’t required to be sent with a “Boo” but with those you care about whether it is a friend, family member or of course, your Boo. When we went out to eat we saw groups of friends & families during the day and lovers at night. Later in the evening when we went out for music I saw groups of ladies and guys enjoying some live music. I know of others who stayed home sulking.


Everything is how you see life and how you choose to approach everything in it. There was no reason for anyone to sulk, bash or hate on Valentine’s Day. Life is always what you make of it. Make it the best.

Comments

  1. Girl what a great post. It is sad when some people feel they need a man. I had a great Valentine. Shared it with my family and friends and of course my man. It was really great. I went all out for my kids they was happy we all was happy. You are so right. Love this post. Great write.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts