Giving Thanks Where Thanks is Due

I have so much to be thankful for this year, it has been amazing as well as an eye opener. But before I get into that I will discuss an issue that has been bothering me the past few days. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, I enjoy this holiday because it is a day that is spent enjoying family and giving thanks for what you have. There are no expectations except for your presence to be around those that you love and love you. So it hurts my soul that my family has chosen not to do anything this Thanksgiving like we usually do. Every year we would get together and bring food to a selected location, eat, laugh and enjoy the evening together, but this year is different, this year I will be taking my kids to visit extended extended family to enjoy the holiday, I am more than thankful that we have been invited to share this day with them but it will not be the same. My daughter was riding in the car Monday night and she sounded disappointed that we would not be sticking to our yearly routine. I felt her pain but it is my job to remain strong and show them the bright side to this situation.

As I sat back later that evening it made me feel as though my family was falling apart, I felt as though my favorite holiday has been reduced to house hopping and feeling like a temporary holiday guest. I called my mom and explained to her how I was feeling and she agreed, we made it a point to set Thanksgiving at her house from now on and continue to have New Year’s Day at my house, as always it is open to all family and friends that want to join in but there will be no more question as to whether or not we will be having a Thanksgiving and where we will be having it.

All of that being said I must say what all I am thankful for. I will make this short since my previous statement was longer than anticipated.

I want to first say that I am thankful for all of the pain, heartache, loss of friendships and drama that took place in 2012. This year has taught me so much I cannot help but to be grateful for it. It has shown me who I can trust and who I cannot, I’ve learned who I want to be and be around and what kind of company I want to keep. I’ve discovered another part of myself I didn’t know could exist. I’ve learned a sense of self control and temperament. I’ve learned to forgive and let go all at the same time and not hold grudges and how to let people go, I’ve also learned what I do not want in my life so I can move forward with what I do want in my life, how to handle life’s problems with a grain of salt and not allow petty matters define who I am as a person, I also learned how to do more for myself and focus on myself instead of others so much.

Without the negatives I would not have found the positive place I am in my life today nor the peace in my heart that has allowed me to have more to be thankful for. God has looked after me this year in so many ways and has blessed both me and my household. He has taught me patience and understanding and how to handle situations where they do not linger and consume me. I have found a peace within myself that allows me to work through inner demons and frustrations to maintain a happier me. I have become more aware of what is around me and what is in the universe. I am healthier and my children are healthy as well. He has brought wonderful people into my life that have blessed me in so many ways and have brought happiness to me by their positive influence. I feel like life has taken a new direction and I love every moment of it. I feel closer to my children and I feel loved. I have been able to set an example for others and encourage them and have had good examples of my own to follow. He has allowed me to make a change in other’s lives and that in itself is a blessing, last but not least he has allowed me to know what it feels like to have everything I’ve needed in someone and the ability to recognize them when they arrived.

So if you were a part of my life this year in some way whether it was for a long or short period of time, online or in person, thank you.

Happy Thanksgiving! And…It Is What It Is!

Comments

Popular Posts