The Engagement: The Plan


The Engagement Series is a series of blog posts written before I got married in a very private ceremony. They are released daily until they are complete, I hope you enjoy.


December 4, 2012

Part 2

I didn’t plan on doing this but I never planned on speaking about the engagement at all so what the heck, I might as well tell you guys about what we have planned for the day we get married.

Since we will be getting married in a civil ceremony we will be keeping it simple and saving all the bells and whistles for the vow renewal ceremony. We plan on having our two witnesses and my children with us during the ceremony and that is it; no one else.

But we can’t just ignore our moment of officially becoming husband and wife so to celebrate our union we will be spending the rest of the day enjoying ourselves with dinner and getting a suite at the Hotel Murano in downtown Tacoma. That’s where I got the room for my daughter’s 16th birthday, Josh and I loved the hotel and knew we wanted to stay there on our special night.

A week after getting married we plan on getting matching tattoos, just a symbol that signifies our union, that same symbol will be on our wedding invitations. We will also do a husband and wife photo shoot, we will use the photos on our wedding site and in other items related to our wedding.

I have been learning so much about Josh, I’m happy we are taking time to learn one another but I also know you never learn everything there is to know about a person, you are constantly getting to know them and they are constantly getting to know themselves as they grow.

I asked Josh what he would say when people asked him why we wouldn’t wait and he said to me “ I would ask them why wait” after that I just looked at him and I knew we were both making the right decision for ourselves and not based on someone else’s beliefs.

I love a man with intelligence and I love it when I find it in the most unlikely people, I’m not talking about basic educational skills but the depth that requires a natural intelligence that so many black men don’t allow themselves to show the world, a depth that also comes with learning the world and being a student of life’s lessons. Sometimes I just sit and listen to him and he has so much to share, at other times he sits and listens to me soaking up my words for additional knowledge to add to what he already has. We are learning from one another and I am so excited to see where this journey leads us and what we will learn from one another and learn together.

And…It Is What It Is!






Comments

Popular Posts