Troubles With My Uterus - My Female Surgery


 
Last Thursday September 5th, I had to go in for a minor surgery. It had been discovered that I had a fibroid which may or may not been the cause of my heavy menstrual cycles..

I’ve been having heavy cycles since I had my tubal fulguration in 2005, since then I’ve been put on Depo Provera and birth control pills. I was taken off the Depo due to my Costochondritis flaring up and the bc pills kept causing me to spot so I was getting tired of that too. I decided to see the doctor in April who sent me for an ultrasound the results came back stating I had a small 9mm fibroid in the left uterine fundus and I was referred to an OB-GYN. I saw the OB-GYN in June and had a ton of blood work done to rule out a number of other issues and she also sent me home with information on what my options would be after all the tests came back, after the blood work came back ok I had to have a uterine biopsy to rule out uterine cancer, that too was negative. So I was then given my options again and I decided on the NovaSure Ablation.

There was a lot I had to do in order to have this surgery, pre-op appointment and a ton of over the phone consults with nurses and registration staff. I was told to arrive two hours early so on surgery day I arrived at 10:55am, my surgery was scheduled for 1:10pm. I had to go through a surgery registration then I had to turn in all valuables for safe keeping, which in this case was only my cell phone. Once that was done I had to wait about 15 minutes or so before I was taken to a waiting room where I answered more questions and had my temperature, pulse and blood pressure checked,  then I had to remove all of my clothing and have it placed in a bag, I was given a gown, a rob and socks. I was then left to wait in the recliner with a warm blanket.

The staff bothered me a few more times for more questions, a urine sample, more questions, a blood sample and of course more questions. So now four hours later, yes four hours later, actually almost four and a half, it was time for me to go up for surgery but not before…you guessed it, more questions.
Once I got upstairs I was placed in a bed where I was asked more questions, then the anesthesiologist came in and set me up with my IV, my doctor then came in to explain the procedure again and then nurse came in and with each one there was more questions.

Finally, it was my time to have the procedure done and it was after 4pm. I was moved to the operation table which was quite narrow so they strapped me down to ensure I didn’t fall off; and well, that’s all I remember until I was in recovery with a tube in my nose and leg compressions wrapped around my legs, some pain and a few pain meds; at that time I was told I had a polyp removed. Once my pain subsided enough they removed the compressions and the breathing tube and I was taken to another room. I had to stay in the other room until my blood pressure went down and I was given some food and pain medication, my mom went to grab my meds and my phone. Once my BP went down I was able to get dressed and go home where I passed out until the next day.

I knew I was going to have a fibroid removed and an ablation but the polyp wasn’t planned so it was on my mind a lot, the sample was sent to the lab for testing and I prayed it was not cancerous. I am happy to report that the polyp was negative, I’ve had cancerous polyps on my cervix before and it has always been my fear that one day I would have to face cancer. I am glad that today is not that day.

Overall the procedure went well and I have not had any pain since I left the hospital, I’ve not had to pick up my pills once. I have to take it easy because if I don’t I tend to have a slightly pinkish discharge but that is normal. The staff at Swedish was super nice and just overall great. My doctor was just super awesome. They made this entire process, even the long wait a lot easier to deal with. I am grateful to have had such a wonderful staff working with me while going through this process.

I am currently on medical leave from work until September 16th and I am truly enjoying this time off.  I’ve taken this time to detox my system, I have decided to do the Alpha Reset, if you follow my blog you know that I have been juice fasting for detox for three years. Usually I do ten days but I decided to try the Alpha Reset detox. I started Tuesday and I will be posting about the detox Monday so stay tuned.

And…It Is What It Is!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts