Through My Rose Colored Glasses


When I reflect back on my 2016, I try to think of ways I can duplicate it in 2017 or make it better.  My 2016, was not great because it just was, it was great because I made it that way. I chose happiness, I chose to keep my glass half full, but I also avoided as much negativity and drama as I could. We all know that negativity and drama is everywhere and negative people are hiding around every corner, but our reaction to them and those situations are what makes a world of difference. One of the things I have learned to do throughout my life is to internalize my role in situations then accept the consequence. For example, if I decided to buy something that I cannot comfortably afford, I have to accept if it causes me a hardship and not place blame on others. However, because I am aware of my financials I know not to put myself in those situations.

Another thing that has helped is picking and choosing my battles, this is a big one because I have to know when to just walk away, try a different approach or just attempt to empathize. Learning empathy has been the biggest part of my happiness. When you are surrounded by a number of people who just did not have a great 2016, you have to remember that whatever it is they went through, they at times deflected it onto you. Learning to approach them with the mindset that they are not in a good place allows you to: know when to walk away and how to approach them in a manner that will prevent friction. When I say this, I do not mean walk on eggshells or become a doormat, doing so would not allow you to have internal happiness, it would actually cause the opposite effect and cause you to become angry, just like them. But sometimes just knowing when you should set them straight as compared to keeping your calm, sticking to the point and walking away  not feeling like their attitude was personal. You know, having the ability to just shrug it off and going on with your day allowing them to sit in their own unhappiness.

I have learned to look at situations as blessings, even bad situations. Believe me, I could take a look at any negative situation and stew over it forever if I wanted to, never taking away a learning experience or anything else from it. But when something bad happens, I search for a positive and I focus on that. Even if the act itself was not positive, I try to see if something positive resulted from that incident. For example, say I was driving my car down the freeway and it just stopped at 3:45pm. Then I get it to the shop and they tell me there is nothing they can do and now I need a new car. I have no money to afford a new car but I have to do what I can to come up with something. Then I find out that at 4:00pm a car ran into a pole and shut down the street where I live and all of the cars that were there at that time had nowhere to go and was stuck on the street for hours. I would say “wow, I am sure glad I wasn’t stuck in that mess. Had I not broken down I would have drove right into it and maybe even been hit by the car or the pole”. Even if that may not have even happened to me, I use that as my positive moment and I trust in God to do the rest. I trust in God to provide a way for me to afford the new car I am going to need and with the power of God and my own self determination to make things happen, I know that I will have what I need.

I have said before, that I am spiritual and as a spiritual person I believe in God and the power of the universe. I am a true believer in the Secret and willing things in your direction. I feel as though when you listen to the silence of the universe, that you can hear God speak to you in the smallest of things. I am a firm believer in karma; I think what you put out into the universe comes back to you. So if you throw out negativity that is exactly what you will get back. So much negativity took place in the world in 2016 and at times it got to me, it got under my skin, I am sure these events also affected others. At one point the negativity consumed me and I had to disconnect from the world long enough to re-center myself and process life effectively, in a whole new light and mind frame. When I sit with myself I internalize life and situations and evaluate how I did or should handle them. I deal with it as someone looking from the outside in, then I work my way out.

Communication will always be your friend. Never allow what's bothering you to consume you. Take a moment to think about the situation and evaluate it properly and then talk about it. Even if the other person is not receptive to the conversation at least you know you got out what you were feeling so that it doesn't consume you.

This is what works for me, and you will need to do what works for you but always take time to self-evaluate and reflect on your life and the lives of those around you. Once you allow yourself a better sense of who you are, who they are, and how to process situations, your world will become your own and not dictated by those around you.

And…It Is What it Is!

Comments

Popular Posts