DIY Flower Wall


When I was in London I attended my cousin’s wedding. While there, they had this beautiful flower wall. Every time I see something I like, I pay close attention to the detail and the construction and think about what it would take to create it. However, it was a flower wall and at the time I could not think of any reason I would need one.

May 2018, my daughter decided that she wanted a spring themed baby shower with flowers and butterflies and she wanted the colors to be yellow and white. Then it hit me, flower wall! I finally had a moment where a flower would be useful. I ran the idea by her and she liked the idea; however, when I explained how we would do it, she couldn’t fully see the vision but was excited at the same time. It wasn’t until I put one panel together that she saw the vision and became really excited.
I decided to attempt to save a few dollars by using foam board and flowers from Dollar Tree. The wall consisted of 12 panels (3 up, 4 across); each foam board was 30x60 inches, creating a 120x180 inch wall. I wanted each board to be sturdy so we used 3 boards per panel, totaling 36 boards. Each panel required about 36 bunches of flowers, give or take; the bottom 4 used maybe half since we covered the bottom half with the leaves. The overall cost was roughly $450, which includes all materials needed to construct and hang the wall, which was a steal compared to the price of buying one ($1500-$2500).

Construction:
If you are ever interested in creating your own Dollar Tree flower wall you will need foam boards, flowers, a glue gun, modge podge, a pick (to poke holes in board),and clips (Optional: wood, wooden stakes, and nails), and most importantly, patience…

I will give you the basic instructions on how I constructed each panel, how you choose to hang the panels will determine what other supplies you need.

Stack a set of 3 foam boards on top of one another. Glue your foam boards together using modge podge; use clips to clip the boards together and let dry. Once they have dried, pull the flower heads off all of your flowers and mix the different kinds together so you can grad them randomly (if using multiple types of flowers). Use the pick to poke a hole through the foam board, be careful not to puncture the 3rd board. Using the hot glue gun, place a drop of glue into the hole and place the stem of the flower head through the hole. Repeat process until you have completed the entire board.

*We decided to place all of our flowers before we glued them in, just in case we wanted to change any around.

Once you have completed all of your boards, place them close together as to hide any gaps. Hang them in the manner in which you choose. We created a frame based on how many panels we had then nailed each panel to the frame. I have included photos of the frame.

 


And…It Is What It Is!

Comments

Popular Posts