Chipotle Chicken Bowls (Copycat)

I love the chicken salad bowls from Chipotle. However, after I get done ordering them for my son and I, I've paid over $22. I decided that my meal prep for this week would be Chipotle bowls. I found a recipe online for the chicken and made my bowls. I have simplified the recipe for you. My directions had me soaking ancho chile peppers for 12 hours. It is easier to use the powder. It is also easier (and less wasteful, in my opinion) to buy the paste and add water, as opposed to buying a can of chipotle peppers just to siphon out the juice.

Ingredients 

1/2 medium red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons adobo paste
1 tablespoon of water
2 tablespoons ancho chile powder 
2 tablespoons olive oil 
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/4 tsp ses salt
4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs

Directions

Marinade 
Mix everything except for the chicken, in a blender or food processor until smooth.

Place rinsed chicken in a one-gallon freezer bag. 
Pour marinade over chicken.
Close the freezer bag, leaving a little air, and mix the marinade all over the chicken with your hands. 
Once all of the chicken is covered, open the freezer bag and remove any excess air.
Place bag flat in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours (I did 10).

In a hot skillet or grill, cook your chicken. Once cooked (160 degrees), cut up chicken and place into the skillet for 5 minutes stirring frequently. 

Prepare your bowls using salad or rice (my son prefers the cilantro lime rice)

Cilantro Lime Rice
Make 1cup of rice per package instructions 
Chop 1/4 cup of cilantro
Squeeze in 1/2 lime
Give it a good mix

Now start layering your bowl as you see fit. I add sautéed green and red bell peppers and red onions, salsa, cheese, and sour cream.

And...It Is What It Is!

















Comments

Popular Posts