Redecorating My House


Last spring, I decided it was time to redecorate the house. Some of it was a nightmare; like trying to get the couch from Ashley Furniture. I honestly suggest that you just don't buy furniture from them...if you follow me on social media then you may already know some of the nightmares I've been through dealing with them.

The new decor is eclectic, there are pieces from everywhere. I have combined new and used, expensive and inexpensive; some I even built myself.

Last year I replaced some of my bedroom set. I had a nightstand, dresser, and chest that I replaced with 3 chests, a nightstand,  a wardrobe,  and a cabinet. I kept my bed frame and tv stand, I also replaced my mattress. My plan has been to paint my bed and add fabric to either the headboard or just do the whole thing and paint the tv stand. My new setup has given me a lot more storage, which I needed.

In the bathroom I just replaced the rugs, added some inspirational signage, a new shower caddy, shower liner, toilet brush, toilet paper holder, and a new toilet seat. The toilet seat was not planned but I broke the previous one when I stood on it replacing the liner and ended up in the toilet.

The downstairs was probably the biggest overhaul. I replaced both the living room and dining room sets. I placed the old couch, chair, and dining room table on FB Marketplace and they were taken almost immediately. The response for them was crazy, more than 50 messages. I also did a lot of purging. 

I initially thought the couch set came with an ottoman but found out it didn't; so I had to find a coffee table. I just so happen to be at Goodwill and came across a glass top coffee table that I liked for $20.00, but decided to pass it up. However, 2 days later it was still on my mind. I decided to go back to see if it was still there and it was. The base is metal and it had a few rust spots and I knew I'd have to repaint it. I decided to spray paint it the same color as my dining room table legs so the rooms flow better. See the process here.

I didn't keep the pillows that came with the couch. I decided to go to Big Lots and get three that matched my decor. I got the rug from Walmart and the decor pieces from stores like Ross, Homegoods, Burlington, Marshalls, Big Lots, etc.

I ordered the dining room table and chairs from Amazon. The table is 63" long and is like a faux distressed grey wood. I paired it with 4 teal colored chairs and a cute grey bench I picked up from Homegoods. The chairs came with brown legs that I spray painted them a dark metal metallic before attaching them to the chairs. Initially, I wasn't going to add the bench; but after I had the chairs all laid out it did not feel right. I felt like such a long table needed more seating and I've always liked bench seats. I had come across the bench a few days prior and went back to get it.

I found a cabinet for the dining room at Habitat for Humanity. It was originally an upper kitchen cabinet. I bought legs for it that I will apply to the top and flip the cabinet, then paint it grey.

In the kitchen I added a countertop dishwasher and bought a cabinet for the microwave so I could hang it on the wall, giving us more counter space. So far, that's all I've done in there but more is to come.

The biggest project has been my son's room. I've been wanting to build him a bed for quite a while now. I felt like it would be a great mom and son project. My initial plan was to build a pallet bed. However, after analyzing all the work I'd have to put into cutting it down to size to fit his room, I decided to build it from scratch and add under bed storage drawers that I ordered from Target. I have a post dedicated to the project here. Instead of buying him a new dresser I  have decided to upgrade his current dresser by painting it the same color as his bed and upgrading the hardware. To complete the look, I will add new curtains.

I planned on having everything completed by end of summer but that did not happen. However, I will work on finishing it now that school is over. This has been a long time coming. I made some minor upgrades back in 2015, but my furniture hasn't been replaced in 9-13 years. It was definitely time for an upgrade.

Oh yeah...the outside of the house was also painted over the summer.

And...It Is What It Is!

Comments

Popular Posts