Eating Good When Life Is Moving 100 MPH

Some people wonder how I cook so often with such a busy lifestyle. The truth is I do what a lot of people do; I cook enough to have leftovers. My kids don’t like leftovers for too many days so I make enough food for two maybe three days total tops. It’s a lot easier for me because I only have a couple hours from the time I get home from work until I have to go to the gym, practices, games etc. I don’t like to have a full meal after the gym, just my workout smoothie and that’s it.

I also specialize in “quick meals” I’m talking meals I can make in about 30 minutes. It’s always good to have a few quick recipes on deck.

If you find yourself spending too much time in the kitchen, find ways to cut down your prep time. Like buying some of your items pre-cut and pre-washed, I found that it helps a lot to buy some things already prepared when I go to the grocery store; like pre-cut veggies and whatnot. Another helpful kitchen gadget is a crock pot; you can cook your meals during the day and come home to a cooked meal. Crock pots are great for making soups, stews and beans etc. Throw in a bag of frozen veggies, vegetable or chicken stock or broth, cubed meat, a can of tomatoes; turn the setting to low and go.

You can also prepare meals in advance and freeze them to eat later in the week; especially if you have a deep freezer. I remember when I had my son, I made pre-cooked meals for my daughter so I would be able to rest and she would still be able to have home cooked meals.

Remember there are always ways to make something work, it just takes a little effort. Don’t subject your family to processed T.V. dinners or fast food meals on a nightly basis. Let them enjoy home cooked meals that are good for them; mind, body and soul.

And…It Is What It Is!

Comments

Popular Posts